🔔
🔎

When making homemade pierogi do you have to boil them first if you are planning on sautéing them in butter ?

My recipe says to boil and serve. However, when I used to buy freshly made pierogi I would just toss them in a pan with butter and cook them. Can't remember if they appeared to have been boiled first or not.

asked by JenS over 2 years ago
Bigpan

I always boiled first, toss in butter while still warm. Pan fry with some chopped onion until crispy. That's the way my Ukrainian mom did it. Warning though - make extra!

Oh, thank you SO much for the answer!! The dough is now resting so I was hoping to find to find out before it was ready to go. This recipe makes 5 dozen and there's only 3 of us so we should have plenty...should!! ; ) Thanks again for your help...it's really appreciated!

Img__631-1_(1)

In Asian cooking they will often sear the dumpling in oil or butter then add water, cover the pot and steam them. With pierogi I have always boiled, drained, cooled then sauteed.