A question about a recipe: Citrus Pulled Pork Tacos

Food52_01-24-12-0634

Is there any real advantage to using onion powder in this instead of a fresh onion, chopped and cooked briefly with the browning pork, other than the convenience of using the powder? I don't own any, and never buy or use it, but would if it actually improves the result in recipes like this. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

Stringio

i think so. this recipe uses the onion as part of a dry rub on the meat, so it's suposed to coat the whole piece of pork, not just parts of it. if you really wanted to use fresh onion you could probably use three to four times by volume of raw onion and mash it together with the other spices and the oil to make a wet rub for it,

Buddhacat

I agree with the answer above. When an ingredient has been dried the flavor intensifies. And this is a dry rub.

I also agree with these replies. There are times when onion powder, garlic salt etc. are useful to have on hand---but definitely a different flavor profile.

I also agree— might also be a place to add flavor (like with the aforementioned rub), but not say, have bits of onion on the exterior that might burn in the oven or on a grill. And the powder will probably get that onion flavor to absorb a bit into the exterior of the meat more affectingly.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Rubs are the obvious answer, but they are definitely a shortcut for when time is an issue. But it can really be a good intensifier of onion flavor when its needed. I admit to using it for quick meatloaf sometimes.

2010-09-15_14.22.07

When using onion powder or garlic powder, I have found that the Frontier Natural Products Co-Op brand is terrific.

Buddhacat

I agree calendargirl. And my favorite are the ones I dehydrate and grind. So simple and so good.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks, everyone. This is very helpful. I especially appreciate the brand recommendation, calendargirl. WFM carries that line and, lucky for me, I just changed gyms and the new one is three blocks from WFM, right on the way home. Definitely going to make this pork recipe this weekend. ;o)

I like to use onion powder in my rubs for the flavor and ease they provide. If you omitted it, you could and fresh onion to the cooking liquid in the crock pot.