🔔
🔎

Suggestions for a retro 70s salad??

asked by myrna1 almost 3 years ago
Buddhacat

This is an early 70's salad before and during the famous Caesar Chavez iceberg lettuce boycott that lead to the United Farm Worker's Union.

Iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced tomatoes and bottled Thousand Island Dressing, i.e. Kraft. Or you can make your own French Dressing

French Dressing
1 can Campbell’s tomato soup
½ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups Wesson Oil
1 tbsp. onion powder

Put in jar, shake well and serve

P.S., you said retro, not tasty!

They still serve this is Norway and put a can of corn in it. No joke.

Junechamp

Back in the 70's is when Good Seasons came out with their salad dressings packets and cruets. You bought the set and made your own dressing with their seasonings and your own oil and vinegar.

I remember we used to make those and pour over salads made from head lettuce or romaine and just about any veggie you could think of!

Dsc00859_2

Yes, the Good Seasons, or a homemade version with wine vinegar, oil (not necessarily olive), herbs. We might rub the wooden bowl with a cut garlic clove.

Oh gosh! I remember that!

I just consulted my copy of Private Collections: A Culinary Treasure, which was put together by The Women's Committee of the Walter's Art Gallery, copyright 1973, with an introduction by James Beard. Here are the salads they list cauliflower & broccoli salad, marinated tomatoes, cole slaw with beans, lentil salad, white bean salad, tomato aspic, sauerkraut salad, Bermuda salad, tomato and pepper salad, cucumber salad, cold spinach mold with tart cream dressing, shrimp and rice salad, artichoke and shrimp salad. I also understand Good Seasons dressing was popular.

Dsc00859_2

We didn't eat any finicky baby lettuces (I just hate it when all those stems stick out of my mouth anyway. Usually when I'm in a restaurant trying to look sophisticated). Green or red leaf lettuce, Romaine or iceberg. Especially iceberg w/blue cheese dressing.

Yes, a ice burg wedge, with blue cheese and croutons.

Here's Thomas Keller's updated version from "Ad Hoc at Home".
http://www.npr.org/templates...

While maybe not '70's. The classic salads where popular then. A Cobb salad, a Caesar salad, a Waldorf salad. Salads from Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet and the previously mentioned layered salads. (Gotta have that big glass serving bowl tho!)
Blue cheese was pretty popular then too. Ranch was just starting on the mass market, but Green Goddess was popular.

And of course shrimp cocktails, in the special glasses, with the inserts for the ice and a small chopped salad topped with cocktail surrounded by shrimp in the center.

Half a canned pear or peach. A dollop of mayo (or Miracle Whip) in the center. Top with grated sharp cheddar. This was the salad on the dinner plate from my home ec degreed mom many nights in the 70s. Sounds horrid; tastes delicious. Typing this makes me crave it ...

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I remember 1,000 Island Dressing (Mayo, Ketchup & pickle relish) and Green Goddess. Iceberg Lettuce, Pineapple halves mixed with cottage cheese, grapes & carrots & celery and lots of jello/aspic type stuff. Oh, and tiny square hard croutons.

Farmer's_market

I remember eating a lot of spinach salad, with bacon bits, chopped hard boiled egg, red onion and sliced mushrooms. The bacon wasn't necessarily real and the mushrooms were raw (if I made it now, I'd use real bacon and saute the mushrooms - not a fan of raw ones.) At the time, this seemed very sophisticated.

Farmer's_market

Just thought of another one: any salad stuffed in a tomato. Tuna, egg, chicken...very 70's 'ladies-who-lunch.' Actually, my mother - not a lady who lunched at all - used to make a rice salad with peas (Risi e Bisi) stuffed in tomatoes for outdoor parties - not exactly classic retro American, but really good.

If you want to go all 70's retro, well then, fondue. Okay not a salad. But you can bring out the disco ball anyway.

oh god...brings me back...what about taco salad--ice berg, taco meat, cheddar, doritos, olives etc combined with thousand island...maybe there is a reason that went out of favor but we loved it as kids..

Seven-layer salad probably predates the 1970s, but I ate a lot of it then.
Google it for numerous recipes.

Dsc_0048b

Is my mother the only one who made jello mold salads? Seems there was one at every party. I hated them , but they were very popular. Particularly in green, with sour cream or whipped cream mixed, they really looked like mold. I think she folded in canned fruit drained of it's juices.

Oh yes!! I remember my mom putting nuts and little cream cheese balls in hers!!

Dsc_0048b

Sometimes she got really fancy and did multiple layers, each with a different color jello and a different filling, and she tipped the mold on its side as it jelled in the refigerator so that the layers would be angled. These were not considered dessert though, but salads.

Farmer's_market

My mother didn't do Jello molds...and as a small child, I felt totally deprived! I had a friend whose mom always made a red, white and blue one for July 4th (I think the white layer was lemon jello with cream cheese or sour cream...maybe - yikes - Cool Whip?) I was lime-Jello green with envy. My mom was a terrific cook, but her homemade pate or ratatouille or whatever just wasn't patriotically bedazzling enough for me back then. Ironically, I've never even liked Jello - or anything gelatinous - but that was irrelevant; it was about being disenfranchised to my right to a Jello mold, damn it!)

My mother (who had very good taste in food, otherwise) fancied herself an artist in jello, too! Different colors, or pastels made with something creamy mixed in. There'd be a jello mold in the fridge in some state of eaten-ness more often than not when I was growing up. Look under "Salads" in a random church/community cookbook from the 60s and early 70s and I bet 1/3 of the entries are jelled. I'll never forget a recipe in one that called for lime jello and leftover turkey.

Dsc_0048b

Wow! Pretty sure my mother never made that one! Wonder what color/flavor of jello best complements turkey? Red for the holidays?

I've seen cranberry jello in the stores around the holidays...

My mother didn't do jello molds, but she did do a layered jello salad with pretzels on the bottom, then there was some sort of a cream cheese on top of that and finally a layer of strawberry jello with strawberries in it. We had it every year for the holidays. I actually really liked it!

Layered salads were popular...big...served
a large group...and good...could make ahead ..
then toss and serve..

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Chicken Curry Salad. Its a classic bound salad. Make sure to add some good green apples. I really like it.

L1020855

Anyone remember jellied tomato aspic with shrimp suspended inside?

Yes! Lots of tomato aspic, sometimes with chopped green olive/cucumber suspended in it, served with either homemade mayonnaise or cottage cheese. Sometimes tomato juice was the base, but also V-8 or Clamato juice, and it was seasoned with worcestershire, lemon and tabasco. Delicious with chicken salad and yeast rolls.
My mom also made the above-mentioned red-white-blue jello for July 4th. Her white layer was a cream cheese gelatin, and she decorated the top with cream cheese stars.