🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Dsc_0090

I have a question about the ingredient "bottle hot taco sauce" on the recipe "Pulled Pork Sandwiches" from mtlabor.

What is hot taco sauce? I wouldn't dare purchase anything like Taco Bell hot sauce (nasty!) I'm thinking something more natural/authentic like Valentina (Mexican) hot sauce. Any suggestions?

asked by The Fiery Epicurean almost 3 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Yeah. Just go with a milder hot sauce, like Cholula or Crystal. They are my go-to's for "taco sauce".

Notgood

Hey thanks for considering my pulled pork for your Super Bowl party! We have an awesome Latin American grocery store around the corner from our house that I purchased the taco sauce from. So if you have one around you, that's definitely your best bet - or your suggestion of the Valentina would be perfect as well (although I'd adjust the quantity a little bit - don't know if the whole bottle would be too hot or not!)

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

mtlabor - you have wonderful recipes!

Stringio

I have a problem with "a bottle of taco sauce" - what size? I would recommend a brand too. Tapatio?

It's easy enough to make your own if you have a food processor as the basic ingredients are simple. Choose dried peppers to your own taste and heat tolerance, a single variety or a blend. Scoville units are the measure of heat. Stem and seed your peppers. Put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let that rest for 1 to 2 hours. Drain them, give them a rough chop and put in the bowl of your processor. Add white vinegar to not quite cover (you can always add more later). Add a pinch of salt and maybe a dash of garlic powder. Gradually ratchet it up "liquefy". Taste and adjust seasoning.

Last summer I bought a basket of hot peppers at the farmers market and placed them whole inside an empty bottle of vinegar. I added peppercorns, garlic and salt. I keep it in the refrigerator and use it on my rice and beans and other dishes that need a little vinegary heat.