🔔
🔎

I'm tripling a chili recipe for Super Bowl. Do I triple the chili powder & cayenne ?

asked by miss jane almost 3 years ago

Ask yourself if the crowd likes spice or not. If so, have at it! If not nothing wrong with letting them add their own to the finished product. Helpful hint...toast all the dry spices first. It'll add an under current of smoke

As a general rule yes. Remember that chili as it simmers will diminish the chili powder strength. Taste it about half way through simmering and add more to taste. Unfortunately you really cannot add heat as an after thought at the table as the chili powder needs to cook or it will Tate gritty

If you are triple a recipe you should triple everything

I once made Bayou Dirty Rice from Silver Palate cookbook, doubled the recipe and doubled the Cayenne pepper. It was inedible :( and I really enjoy HOT, SPICY food. I would taste before tripling!

Face

I agree that you should add the spices in increments, tasting as you go. Heat can always be added at the table with Tabasco which is what I usually do. My family doesn't like the heat I enjoy, and if it's too hot, I have to eat it all.

I agree that heat can added using a hot sauce and the tabasco chipotle works ok with chili. Unfortunately using regular Tabasco changes the heat from chili powders. It has too much of a vinegar base and contrast to much. I have never seen a chili with Tabasco win in competition.