🔔
🔎

Are there certain dishes/ingredients that should not go into a newly seasoned cast iron Dutch oven? My concern is stripping or damaging it.

asked by sawdust over 2 years ago

If it has been seasoned properly, but not yet used your biggest concern should be the temperature at which you cook. Try starting out on the lower end first. When you have completed cooking; you should clean and dry the pan, then swab with a little oil before storing in a warm dry spot

Cheese/milk sauces turn a gross color in cast iron also.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Nothing high in acidity. That means no tomatoes, no vinegar. Also no cabbage.

While I agree mostly (but not totally) on no tomatoes, it's not that difficult to re-season a cast iron pot that is already well seasoned. Tomatoes would definitely not be the first thing I would cook in it---bacon would be. But that said, there are plenty of stews that cook up great in cast iron even using tomatoes or vinegar. However if you do it on the first or second use it will pull out a very ferrous metal and unpleasant flavor.

I agree with this. The "no tomatoes" rule, is more a guideline. Chili in a castiron dutch oven is very traditional.

But of course those castiron cowboy 'chili pots' used over camp fire are very well seasoned.