🔎

• 5

• 905

• See other questions tagged:
    • Kathy

A question about a recipe: Manhattan Clam Chowder

I have a question about the recipe "Manhattan Clam Chowder" from thirschfeld.

I don't use bacon in my recipes. What can I substitute for the flavor?

_tjh3921
Img__631-1_(1)
thirschfeld added about 2 years ago

Pancetta or prosciutto. If it is a pork issue maybe add some white fish like cod or other white fish. It will still be satisfying with just the clams

Don't would be my answer. You could use liquid smoke if that's the flavor profile you're looking for. Otherwise use piementon (smoked paprika) . It should be available in the ethnic foods isle of your local grocer.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Smoked turkey. It does wonders for recipes that call for bacon. One to one substitution. Its smokey, its salty, and leftovers can be used in a plethora of ways.

I'll agree with NeuB here. Liquid smoke (available in supermarkets) was the first thing that came to mind but smoked pimenton (paprika) is also a good suggestion.

JosieD added about 2 years ago

Try looking for smoked salt. Around here they have it at the food coop with the bulk spices. It makes everything smokey and delicious!