🔎

I just bought a food torch, and I'm pretty excited about it. Do people have interesting recipes or ideas about how to use it?

Cristina-014-web-final
Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

Blister/roast peppers with it. This idea comes from Droplet who uses her brulee torch on her peppers.

sarah k. added about 2 years ago

There was an article about molecular gastronomy in the NY Times last week that had a method of preparing salmon in a water bath. It could use searing with the torch instead of the pan, and you could certainly use any sauce, or no sauce, with salmon cooked this way. http://www.nytimes.com...

I read a blog whose author has a sous vide, and she's always torching lovely steaks and fishes for the final touch. I believe she buys prepared duck confit, warms it up, then torches that, too.

MrJDanger added about 2 years ago

It's beautiful to finish a sous vide fish or stake

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added about 2 years ago

Obvious answer is creme brulee. Its a classic for a reason. Other uses are to crisp up fish skin. To get some crunchy bits on a prime rib. To toast meringues.

Sam1148 added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Cut a banana into large scallop sized slices cut on the bias and dip the top in sugar.
Then melt the sugar until bubbly like a creme brulee and hardens into a nice crackling shell when cooled. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Dress it up with some raspberry jam, or drizzle of Caramel or Chocolate syrup and a few berries on the dish.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

Add your answer here

amysarah added about 2 years ago

I've used a torch on a tart, to darken some of the fruit slice edges (apple, pear.) Looks a bit rustic and adds a little burnt/caramelized flavor. Also, oatmeal - with raisins or other chopped fruit, and/or cinnamon, etc. - is great with a brulee'd crust. Likewise, rice pudding - flavored with a little orange rind, slivered almonds and vanilla, or whatever flavors you prefer - is delicious with a brulee'd top. (And writing this may finally inspire me to replace the butane cartridge, that's been dead for over a year!)

What I use my torch for most frequently is French onion soup. The classic method is not a giant glop of melted cheese on the bowl it's grated gruyere over a toasted crouton. Use the torch to melt a generous amount of cheese on each crouton and place one on each bowl.