Found about 2 lbs of beautiful organic red potatoes in the drawer but they are all sprouted! What can I do with them? Are they ok to eat? An

asked by agamom over 3 years ago

I was just looking that p the other day as I was in similar situation. From what I read, it seems that sprout is ok, as long as they are removed. However, discard the potatoes if they have soften or grown green.

Thank you baby tiger! Mine are a bit soft....too bad!

My husband is a potato farmer. It is perfectly ok to eat sprouted potatoes, just knock the sprouts off. They are still perfectly good to use if they are a bit soft. Using softer potatoes actually makes the best french fries because of the sugar to starch conversion that happens during storage. Potatoes can be green from being exposed to the sun, it has nothing to to with how old they are.

Thanks for your answer Linenlady. I almost never buy bag potatoes but when I do I always have a couple that end up going a little mushy. Did not realize that they would make better French fries. I will have to try it next time.

Be sure to remove any green areas. This is actually a toxin similar to that found in rhubarb leaves