🔎

• 6

• 4519

Found about 2 lbs of beautiful organic red potatoes in the drawer but they are all sprouted! What can I do with them? Are they ok to eat? An

8210_found_about_2_lbs_of_beautiful_organic_red_potatoes_in_the_drawer_but_they_are_all_sprouted_what_can_i_do_with_them_are_they_ok_to_eat_any_recipe
Girl_dog
Lulusleep
babytiger added about 2 years ago

I was just looking that p the other day as I was in similar situation. From what I read, it seems that sprout is ok, as long as they are removed. However, discard the potatoes if they have soften or grown green.

Girl_dog
agamom added about 2 years ago

Thank you baby tiger! Mine are a bit soft....too bad!

Sunday_morning_025
linenlady added about 2 years ago

My husband is a potato farmer. It is perfectly ok to eat sprouted potatoes, just knock the sprouts off. They are still perfectly good to use if they are a bit soft. Using softer potatoes actually makes the best french fries because of the sugar to starch conversion that happens during storage. Potatoes can be green from being exposed to the sun, it has nothing to to with how old they are.

jmburns added about 2 years ago

Thanks for your answer Linenlady. I almost never buy bag potatoes but when I do I always have a couple that end up going a little mushy. Did not realize that they would make better French fries. I will have to try it next time.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

The curved end of a basic potato peeler is perfect for removing the sprouts and the little bit below the skin. This happens to me because I buy more potatoes than we eat. No need to waste them. If I'm not sure, I cut them in half to check for internal breakdown, and for smell -- potatoes that are going bad don't keep it a secret!

Face
allans added about 2 years ago

Be sure to remove any green areas. This is actually a toxin similar to that found in rhubarb leaves