🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Mocha Chip Ice Cream

47_thumb

I have a question about the recipe "Mocha Chip Ice Cream" from The Constant Gardener. What is the purpose of the baking powder in this recipe? I've been making ice cream for many years and never seen it used before. Looks like a mistake to me....

asked by Casey2 over 2 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

I could be wrong here, but the simple answer, I believe, is that it works are a stabilizer for the custard. And because it is a alkaline ingredient, and the recipe uses somewhat acidic coffee, it may react and cause the finished product to be lighter, due to the carbon dioxide formation.

Junechamp

I wish you'd posted the recipe so we could consider how it MIGHT work in with other ingredients. Sounds mighty strange to me, too, though. I've been making ice cream (including coffee ice cream) for more than 20 years now, and have never seen baking powder or baking soda in any recipe.

ChefJune - I entered the question directly off a recipe on food52.com and I thought there would have bene a link. Here it is, however - http://tiny.cc/nx9zm. Thanks!

There was a link in the title, Food52 just doesn't highlight it, so people don't realize it sometimes.

Mr, Vittles is correct in his answer. I have found adding the baking powder to the coffee ice cream helps create a lighter ice cream.

Thanks!