🔎

• 3

• 1312

A question about a recipe: Roy Finamore's Broccoli Cooked Forever

I have a question about the recipe "Roy Finamore's Broccoli Cooked Forever" from Genius Recipes. I made this last week and my gas burner made it go mushy; do you think I could finish cooking it slowly in the oven?

Food52_01-10-12-7967
Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

Voted the Best Answer!

You could use a low oven if your gas burners are too fierce, but the texture is meant to be extremely soft, like a melt-in-your-mouth broccoli confit. And it is prone to falling apart, so I find it works best as a spread on sandwiches or pizza, or tossed with pasta or spooned on polenta -- that sort of thing.

This is a pretty common practice in certain regions of Italy. And when I make it, I never blanche the broccoli. I think it would be best for you to lower the temperature OR increase the amount of oil so that it covers the broccoli.
This should ensure a less mushy texture. However with this recipe; I think mushy is the intended result

EatDrinkLyon added about 2 years ago

I am in the middle of cooking it in the oven...I had the heat up too high but will def do it in the oven again. A little less mushy (literally all fell totally apart last time) and done in half the time - 50 minutes and not two hours. Suits my purpose fine! Thanks for the answers.