🔎

• 4

• 1046

• See other questions tagged:
    • fondue

A question about a recipe: Traditional Fondue Fribourgeois - Legendary and Original

I'm going to make this with a gruyere/emmenthaler combo - can I substitute flour for cornstarch?

022211f_489
Me
wssmom added about 2 years ago

It is not my recipe, but I have used flour in fondues before; just make sure it is thoroughly dissolved in the kirsch before you add it

I would suggest that if you're going to use starch that you dissolve it in the wine and let that cook a bit before adding other ingredients. The reason cornstarch is preferred is so that there is no after taste, which can happen with flour that is not cooked enough. Plus cornstarch can be added at a later time, without having to have the product at a high temperature. Finally if you were to use Wondra flour, you could get the same benefit as cornstarch, and it smooths out very nicely

rabino added about 2 years ago

Sure, but the viscosity won't be the same. It is a pity though that you are using emmentaler...

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 2 years ago

i have never used cornstarch myself. i have always used 5 cups grated cheese and 1/4 cup flour, tossed together and added to the wine a bit at a time. no problem w/ any uncooked flour taste.