How do I use up all the fig jam that I have?

Went a little crazy with canning this past year, and somehow managed to can way more fig jam and preserve than I know what to do with. Love to find ways to incorporate it into my baking/cooking. Suggestions?

asked by Darlene Carrigan over 2 years ago
Gator_cake

Runaway Spoon's savories are a great use of it: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I had a thick, cornmeal crust pizza last night that combined fig jam, mozzarella, blue cheese, and pancetta which was delicious.

Gator_cake

Also don't forget gifting!!!

Stringio

I like to serve it with Brie and crackers. You
Can also make baked Brie with a layer of fig jam on top.

I like to spread the Brie on French bread topped with fig jam and sprinkle with fresh thyme.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

Make a fancy grilled cheese...

Melissa_mitchell

A friend of mine puts it on crostini (or just good bread) with blue cheese or Gorgonzola. It's crazy good. She and I have made whole meals out of it (well, and wine).

Sandwich with goat cheese and roasted eggplant!

Imag0055

Homemade fig newtons are delectable. Marion Cunningham has a great recipe in her Fannie Farmer Baking Book.

Bigpan

Great as a spread on pork - cold in sandwich, or on chops or rolled in a tenderloin roast.

We were given a jar for Christmas. The giver suggested we spread on toasted bread (a la bruschetta) with a slice of prosciutto and goat cheese on top. It's pretty tasty that way!

Cakes

Make little puff pastries using pastry squares, your fig jam, and some chevre and walnuts or pecans - I bet that will be good! Fold the corners into the middle, and top with an extra dollop of jam.

Cristina-014-web-final

5. Why heat it up/thin it out, and then you can drizzle it over ice cream or fruit.

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

it makes a wonderful snack or tea sandwich when paired with goat cheese and marcona almonds on thin multigrain rye bread. also delicious in a tart i make: a marcona crust, then layers of fig jam, goat cheese and arugula salad on top. i can send you that recipe if you like....got it from whole foods years ago.

Newliztoqueicon-2

Sauté an onion, some garlic and balsamic vinegar. Add enough jam so you can cover a pork roast - roast until instant read thermometer reaches 160 degrees. Rest 15 minutes and carve.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

You could stuff the chicken breasts with a mixture of the fig jam, brie/goat cheese and some thyme.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Substitute it for half of the quantity of mashed banana in banana bread. I've also found myself with way, way too much fig jam. One night last month I was about to make banana bread only to discover that 2 of the ripe bananas I was planning to use had been eaten. I used about 1 cup of jam in the bread, cutting the larger lumps of figs (as I tend to make my fig jam on the chunky side). It was sensational. ;o)

I just happen to have 2 ripe bananas sitting on my counter. This is perfect!. I get to use up a half pint of fig jam, use up 2 lonely bananas, and have a lovely breakfast tomorrow morning all at the same time!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Don't forget to add a teaspoon of vanilla to the wet ingredients, even if the recipe does not call for it. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

P.S. Nectarine jam also works well as a substitute. I have too much of that as well, so I tried it in the next batch of banana bread I made. Actually, I made muffins based on the same banana bread recipe (from "The Tassajara Bread Book"). They were outstanding. I used toasted pecan pieces in them, too. ;o)

Antonia your idea was absolutely brilliant! I had a jar of fig preserves that I bought at my local farmers market that was overly sweet and i was looking for ideas of what to do with it. I took my regular banana muffin recipe with 2 ripe bananas, a little over 1 cup of the preserves (which was all I had left), cut down the sugar on the recipe since the preserves were way too sweet, and 1 Tablespoon of strong brewed coffee along with the rest of the ingredients. I am telling u these muffins were delicious!! Not only were they flavorful but stayed moist for days. My husband has been insisting I make them again. Loved them!

I love fig jam or chutney served with fresh goat's cheese, Manchego and Roquefort or gorgonzola,and Marcona almonds.

You could also make a jelly roll--the jam would be a pretty color pinwheeling through the cake. Top with whipped cream and pistachios!

Fig_pizza This is a little late but maybe you will make too much jam again! I found a smoked blue cheese in the grocery store and have been obsessed with it. My favorite thing to pair with it is fig jam- specifically flatbread topped with melted smoked blue cheese topped with a salad of greens in a fig vinaigrette with toasted pecans. I have a recipe posted if you are interested. The fig jam is fabulous in the dressing and the salad would be good on its own. I also like making canapes with a horseradish sour cream (or a decadent mascarpone) topped with smoked trout and fig jam.

Smokin_tokyo

If you have a recipe posted where is it posed??No harm in telling us its address...

Oh sure. It is posted here: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet