🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

If you're looking to eat fewer additives, I'd avoid meat substitutes. I don't think turning small green soybeans into things that resemble hot dogs and cheese is natural or additive-free. If you stick to grains, fruits and vegetables, that would naturally be low in fat. But don't forget that a lot of fats are good for you and they help you absorb nutrients better.

Have you considered talking to a nutritionist about making a safe switch to a primarily vegan diet?

I'm not sure how to interpret primarily vegan. Also you earlier requested a banana bread recipe. Generally vegans don't eat eggs, sour cream and the like. Are you sure this is a path that you want to explore?

Buddhacat

The Raw Gourmet by Nomi Shannon is a great book. Vegan is not hard - vegan is a matter of focusing on whole, unprocessed foods. If a processed food in your store says vegan, don't buy it. You will be charged extra for the label.
Anita is right on in her advice. Sit in your favorite bookstore and read books.

Also, consider attending some vegan/raw food classes or retreats.

Buddhacat

By the way, vegan and low are not the same. When you do your research, you will find and experience that you need good fats.

Image

Are you trying to follow the dietary guidelines recommended by Dr Caldwell Esselstyn? If so, check out The Healthy Librarian's blog http://www.happyhealthylonglife.... She has lots of recipe ideas and food suggestions for plant based low fat eating.

Gabriella Paiella

Gabriella is a PR & Audience Development Director at Food52.

If you're looking to do a low-fat vegan diet, then I suggest http://blog.fatfreevegan... as a recipe blog.

However (coming from someone who was vegan for two years and who has several vegan family members), I strongly advise you to just try to eat whole, vegan foods (seconding Kristy up there with the avoiding meat substitutes). Avocados, nuts, oils are all "high-fat" but certainly healthy in moderation and will make a world on difference for your palate.

Just out of curiosity, what is your motivation for going vegan? That will definitely help me tailor my answer better.

Noz_photo

Totally agreed with the Hotliners above -- veganism is about whole ingredients, vegetables, and grains, not factory-made processed foods! All this month, Kenji from Serious Eats has been on a vegan diet, and I've really been enjoying his writing on how it's changed him (and his recipes too!)

http://www.seriouseats...

Scan0004

www.vegkitchen.com is a site filled with recipes and information. Nava Atlas started putting out vegetarian cookbooks in the 1980's and over the years has become completely vegan. Most of the cookbooks have been reissued to reflect the change. I get her weekly newsletter which links to recipes and articles on the site -- subscribe at the site. Lots to learn from her!