FREE Standard Shipping Through Monday. Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

Is it essential to get wheat germ? can I add oatmeal instead?

122010f_1016

I have a question about the ingredient "½ cup toasted wheat germ" on the recipe "Sour Cream Dinner Rolls" from AntoniaJames.

asked by Viridiana Urena almost 3 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Maybe...if you ground the oatmeal coarsely. This can be done in a food processor.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Let me go weigh some quick oats and some regular oats to let you know the amount. Either should work. (You need to get the weight approximately correct, or you'll have too many dry ingredients, adversely affecting the results.) Oats won't lend the same nutty flavor that toasted wheat germ does, but they will provide some texture. I think the quick oats will work better. Hold on. I need to leave my office but should be back shortly. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I am nearly out of wheat germ and both kinds of oats -- I shop on the weekend, generally -- but extrapolating from what I have, I determined that the 1/2 cup of wheat germ should weigh about one ounce. That would be the equivalent of 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of quick oats, or 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon of regular oats. I'd blitz the regular oats in the food processor to get the texture a bit finer, as Mr_Vittles suggests. ;o)

Thank you very much, I will start preparing it and I will let you know how it turns out! thanks AntoniaJames and Mr_Vittles