I need to make an apple pie several days in advance of serving. Best way to preserve it?

Can I freeze an apple pie once it is baked? Or should I freeze the prepared pie before baking? If I freeze the baked pie, do I defrost in the fridge or on the counter? If I freeze the unbaked pie, how much baking time should I add? The pie will not be served hot as it will be traveling with my son into school for a party. Advice?

asked by Randi over 2 years ago
Adg_specialists_pictures_215
gt9

Frozen after baking:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place frozen pie still on baking sheet in oven for 50-60 minutes.

Fresh:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pie on baking sheet in oven for 8-10 minutes.

I would think thawing out a baked, frozen pie would come out a little soggy and wet.
Make your dough, roll it out, and line your pie shell. Freeze it.
Separately i would cook the filling in a pan or pot. This can be stored in the fridge for a few days.
When ready to bake, pour the filling in the frozen shell, put the lid on and bake as usual.
The plus to this is no filling shrinkage and a really flaky pie dough as it is cooked from frozen.

I wouldn't freeze the baked pie. But definitely freeze an assembled, unbaked one. I would make sure to cook the apples or at least macerate them in sugar before assembling the pie - this way they will excrete some of their moisture and you won't be left with a wet mess after freezing and baking. Its also not a bad idea when freezing a pie to a bit of extra thickener (cornstarch, flour, etc) to your filling. You could defrost the pie in the fridge before baking ( not on the counter - you want everything to stay cold!) or you could bake straight from the freezer - I've done this before with great results! Bake the pie at whatever temp you normally bake at, but expect to add an extra 15 minutes or so to your baking time.

I freeze fruit pies in the summer and pull them out in December and January. I partially bake them and then finish them when I want to serve them by putting them directly in the oven. It works perfectly.