🔎

• 6

• 916

Stock ingredients: rabbit, leek, fennel combo?

Preface: not a frequent stock maker here. I have rabbit bones in my freezer and fennel fronds and leek tops in my crisper. Is it crazy to combine all three for stock? If not, I welcome suggestions for other ingredients (red and white onion, garlic, carrots also on hand, and of course many dried herbs).

Profilepreferred

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

Rabbit has a very delicate flavor and The fennel may overwhelm. I use onion carrot and thyme. Lovage or parsley leaves are lovely too

Appetite4Books added about 2 years ago

Roast the rabbit bones and make a brown rabbit stock.
Roast them until really dark, then roast the vegetables. But add in a tomato, garlic, onion, carrot.
Throw it in a pot with cold water, simmer for 2-4 hours and there you go.

Gator_cake

I'm not a huge fan of carrot or tomato in my stock - I find it makes the stock too sweet. I'd definitely add the leek, and may add a small amount of the fennel. I like parsley in my stocks as well.

Appetite4Books added about 2 years ago

True, but if you make brown stock, tomato is essential.
If you are making a white stock, leave it out.

HeatherM added about 2 years ago

Thanks for the input, all!

Chris_in_oslo

One of my very favorite rabbit recipes has fennel in it, and if you like its taste, I don't think I'd be as wary of it as some others sound. I think that leek, rabbit and fennel would make a great base for a Provencal soup.