A question about a recipe: Chocolate Persimmon Muffins

_tjh5997

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Persimmon Muffins" from thirschfeld.
what can I use in place of AP flour, I am gluten free!

asked by Fay over 2 years ago

All Purpose

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Radiobomb is correct -- the "AP" stands for "all purpose" -- that's 90% of the flour sold in most typical supermarkets. This is opposed to "cake flour" or bread flour" which have differing amounts of gluten and therefore behave slightly differently when used differently.

Me

You might use any of the gluten-free all-purpose flours such as those from Williams-Sonoma (Cup4Cup), King Arthur or Glutino. Or, you can make your own all-purpose mix using brown rice flour, millet flour, sorghum flour and Xanthan gum.

Fay

To WSSMom:
Thanks for the info.
If I want to make my own by using brown rice flour

Fay

To WSSMom:
Thanks for the info.

P1291120

You will not be happy if you substitute any rice flour one-for-one for wheat flour in a recipe designed for wheat flour. You will need one of the substitutes (can be pricey) or will need to make your own. There are several different "recipes" for wheat flour substitutes (most will feature rice flour as one of the ingredients), all with varying success. Personally, I like Connie Sarros' recipe: 2-1/2 cups rice flour; 1 cup potato starch flour (NOT potato flour), 1 cup tapioca flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour, 2 Tablespoons xanthan gum. Mix all well. Keep unused portion in the fridge or freezer.

Fay

Thanks, SeaJambon, I will try your sugestion, it sounds good.
Fay