🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Burnt Caramel Pudding

030111f_621

I have a question about the recipe "Burnt Caramel Pudding" from Midge. Can this recipe be scaled down for 2? I'm trying it right now and the sugar doesn't seem to be dissolving & turning amber the way the directions say it will. Can you not halve this recipe?

asked by withinseason over 2 years ago
Gator_cake

I don't see why you can't halve the recipe. Sugar needs to hit about 320ยบ F to start to caramelize, so I suspect you just need more time and/or more heat.

Making a very small amount of caramel, or burning sugar, is tricky. Size of pot comes into play, among other things
To save some trouble, just do the full recipe of caramel, and halve the remaining.
Worse thing is you'll end up with a little extra caramel...is that really so bad?
The custard part is easily halved.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

It can be halved but be careful, half as much sugar and water means it will heat up and burn much faster. If you burn it., I suggest not halving it and keeping part of the caramel for other uses.

Dscf0037_2

Thanks. Not halving the caramel and just halving the cream is what I just tried now. Though in the rush of trying-not-to-burn it, I forgot to pour off half the caramel before adding the cream. Oops! Oh well. It'll just (hopefully) be extra tasty.