A question about a recipe: Hervé This' Chocolate Mousse

Food52_02-07-12-7891

I have a question about the recipe "Hervé This' Chocolate Mousse" from Genius Recipes. I'd like to modify this great recipe (Thanks Kristen!) for diabetics, using 100% unsweetened melted chocolate and then sweetened only with erythritol and/or stevia. How does one prepare the chocolate using these safe sweeteners? Thanks!

asked by LowCarbVegetarian over 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure you could get it to work -- it just might take a bit of experimentation. You can start with the proportions in the recipe, then add more water or chocolate as needed using This' instructions in step 3. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I've tried adding erythritol to melted chcolate before unsuccessfully. I'm unsure how to work with erythritol to get it to dissolve without remaining grainy.

Kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Would you be able to try using agave nectar? I find that stevia has a very artificial taste and might not go very well with dark chocolate.

Kristy, agave is perhaps one of the worst ingredient scams of our time. It's highly processed and hardly natural, and is worse than HFC (high fructose cornsyrup), as it's almost all fructose. The effects on one's health is quite detrimental.

Junechamp

The diabetics I know were ecstatic to find this recipe and two have already made it using organic, 80% cocoa butter chocolate. and NO added sweetener. To excellent effect.

Is there some reason you think artificial sweetener would be beneficial?

Hi ChefJune,

I am very careful about maintaining a very low carbohydrate diet. Many diabetics are not. The only safe sweeteners that have zero impact on the pancreas and blood sugars in diabetics are stevia and/or erythritol. I do not use other artificial sweeteners like sucrolose. High cacao content chocolate like 80% are better as you point out, as they have less sugar than other chocolates.

In hindsight, my question has less to do with this interesting recipe, but more to do with using those two sweeteners and how they work with heating and chilling.