🔎

A question about a recipe: Chrissy's Best Chili Ever

URGENT!I have a question about the recipe "Chrissy's Best Chili Ever" from MyFareFoodie. Should the beans be rinsed and drained? Just Drained? Include liquid?

Me.pie.cookbooks
Kandm

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

My guess is to not include the liquid but hopefully MyFareFoodie can weigh in!

Me.pie.cookbooks
Angela @ the well-worn apron added about 2 years ago

Kristy, that is my inclination too but since I'm testing thought I should be sure. There are those that like to include liquid for thickness and "Chrissy" might be one of them. If I don't hear soon I will likely rinse and drain, make note, and indicate if I was wrong.

ecgravatt added about 2 years ago

As a general rule I always rinse and drain my beans. Obviously this removes the canning liquid, which can sometimes be very high in sodium. Also, I tend to prefer my bean soups to be on the thicker side. However, you can always add water or broth to obtain your desired consistency without diltuting the flavor too much. Looks like a killer chili!

Crabs
MyFareFoodie added about 2 years ago

Hi! Sorry for the delay! (I'm currently out of the country.)

I drain and rinse the beans. Hope you like the recipe!!

Junechamp

If you're talking about canned beans, I ALWAYS rinse them, and would not include the liquid. I can taste the can otherwise.