🔎

• 7

• 4514

Will the carton egg whites whip up for baking?

I have a meringue recipe that calls for 1.5 c of whites, and no use for yolks. My grocer sells little cartons of organic 100% whites near the egg substitute, and it seemed a good shortcut, but want to be sure they will still whip up properly!

Gray_tilt

Of course they will, why wouldn't you want the real thing in the first place? Just make sure you start out with a nice clean bowl!

Gray_tilt
stacey_ballis added about 2 years ago

Def want the "real thing", just hate to waste the yolks if I don't have to :)

Julia child added about 2 years ago

No

Over the years, I've gone through I can't count how many gallons of batched EWs. Couldn't work without them, and you are incredibly lucky to find them in small quantities, and organic at them. Buy them, use them, and know how much I envy you.

Gray_tilt
stacey_ballis added about 2 years ago

Was at the grocer today, says specifically on the carton that they can not be used for meringues or other baking requiring whipped whites. Thanks to all for replying.

In terms of chemistry, there is no reason at all that you can't use them for meringues. In terms of biology, on the other hand, it sounds as though they are unpasteurized, and if that's the case, that is the reason for the admonishment not to use them . . . You can certainly use them for meringues. You'll just need to make a Swiss meringue, and you'll wind up with a better meringue because of it. Set a pot with a couple of inches of water on the stove to simmer. Your proportion of EW to sugar will be 1:2, say a cup (8 ounces) of EW to 16 ounces (2 1/3 cups) sugar. Measure them into a heatproof bowl and whisk them together. Set the bowl over the simmering water. Whisk until the mixture reaches 140 degrees, at which point the EW will be pasteurized. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a mixer. Beat at high speed with the whip until the bowl is cool to the touch. You'll have a killer meringue.

Gray_tilt
stacey_ballis added about 2 years ago

Says on the carton that they are pasturized and not suitable for meringues.