🔎

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added about 2 years ago

It won't work properly if you only use white or brown rice flour; these flours won't bind together the same way regular APF does and your blintzes will be thin and melty (not in a good way). I would use either King Arthur Flour's gluten-free APF, or my own mix:

(for 1 cup flour, 125g)
1/2 cup (50g) brown or white rice flour
1/2 cup (50g) sweet rice flour
3 Tbls (15g) tapioca starch

I use this flour mix for crepes with good success.

shoestringmama added about 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing your crepe GF mix recipe. I'll be looking for sweet rice flour next time I'm at Wegmans. If all else fails, then I'll get the King Arthur APF - remember it being a bit pricey though. Have been wanting to try making crepes as I miss them sooo being GF ... can't wait! Thank you!

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added about 2 years ago

King Arthur Flour's mix is pricey, but it's the best I've tried. I've also heard amazing things about this one (Cup4Cup), though I haven't tried it yet: <a href="http://bit.ly/yHTPiY" target="_blank">http://bit.ly/yHTPiY</a> GlutenFreeGirl's mix works wonders as well. If you're having trouble finding sweet rice flour, try looking at Asian groceries. Another name for it is mochi flour. Bob's Red Mill also has it; you can order that online. Good luck! Gluten-free baking is an adventure: don't be discouraged if it doesn't work out the first time. I've cleaned experiments off the bottom of my oven more times than I care to count.

Shauna_and_danny_ahern_-_photo_credit_sarah_bunch

Shauna James Ahern is cooking up a good life, gluten-free. Her most recent book, Gluten-free Girl and the Chef was named one of the best Cookbooks of 2010 by the New York Times.

You will definitely need to combine a few flours for gluten-free baking (and making pancakes). I like to mix up a big batch of gluten-free AP flour for recipes like this: equal parts sorghum, potato starch, and sweet rice. You might find you like other flours better. Play! I have a big container full of this flour on my counter. Every time I want to make a gluten recipe, I simply replace every 1 cup of gluten AP flour with 140 grams of my gluten-free AP flour. That's it! (Also, you might like this post I wrote about gluten-free pancakes: http://glutenfreegirl.com...) Have fun!

shoestringmama added about 2 years ago

Thank you glutenfreegirl. Being on a budget I hate to try and waste and GF flours are so pricey! Just really can't remember seeing sweet rice flour at Wegmans - will look more closely next time. What is 140 grams in cups? And ... why do the measurements switch from cups to grams when going GF? makes me a bit nutty ... :)

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

Here's the answer from a comment made by glutenfreegirl, answering a question in her Pear Cardamom Muffins on food52 -- We actually weigh everything in our house for baking, since we have to weigh the gluten-free flours for accuracy. (They all have radically different weights, so you can't throw in a cup of one and expect it to substitute for the other.) Since the scale is out, we just weigh the liquids too. And it makes for less mess.