🔎

What is the best kind of vinegar to use when making a vinaigrette with roasted hazelnut oil? It's for a salad with arugula, pears, roasted carrots and a fairly mild cheese (probably Manchego). Ideas for a generic combination (i.e., what vinegar + hazelnut oil would work well with many salads) would also be appreciated. Thank you. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only
nutcakes added over 3 years ago

For that particular salad I'd live to have sherry vinegar, especially with that cheese added. It add a special taste. But white wine vinegar will serve you well for all purposes. Champagne vinegar would be extra special

Gator_cake

White wine or champagne vinegar would be nice. Generically it depends on the greens you are using ==> Cooks Illustrated has recipes for a red wine vinaigrette for mild flavored greens, and creamy garlic for bitter greens, and a mustard balsamic for peppery greens.

Lnd_jen
lastnightsdinner added over 3 years ago

I'd definitely say Sherry vinegar with those particular ingredients. Sounds like a lovely salad! White balsamic might be another option.

I'm in the Spanish sherry vinegar camp. An older one being best.

2-11_016
SallyCan added over 3 years ago

How about white balsamic?

N768884774_851343_4507
KitchenKim added over 3 years ago

One of my favorite recipes from Suzanne Goin is her Roasted Pear Salad with Endives, Hazelnuts and St. Agur. For the dressing she uses hazelnut oil and adds a mixture of sherry vinegar & rice vinegar. The recipe can be found online :). enjoy.

innoabrd added over 3 years ago

Just nothing quite like a good spanish sherry vinegar. Headed to Andalucia after xmas and plan to bring some back!

Yes indeed. I find Spanish sherry vinegar to be far superior to most of what passes as balsamic vinegar in this country (and I do own the real stuff). It will harmonize well with nut oils. In fact I may have to try AntoniaJames salad out, as I have fresh arugula on hand.