🔔
🔎

my heavy cream tastes sour- is it ok?

I just bought a carton of heavy cream today, (the expiration date is march 4)- but when I opened it, it smelled a bit strong, and tastes sour (the seal seemed fine). I was planning on using it to make a dulce de leche sauce, where I would be boiling the cream with sugar for 15 minutes. Do you think it's ok to use it? Thanks!

asked by charlotte au chocolat over 2 years ago
Dsc_0122.nef-1

Heavy cream doesn't have an odor.. Toss it out & get another batch.

Gator_cake

Soured cream won't necessarily hurt you, but it's not going to make a good dulce de leche. Perhaps it was not refrigerated for some period of time. I'm with Panfusine - toss it and get a new carton.

Thanks Panfusine! I was in the midst of making a bday cake for my hubby- cheesecake with dulce de leche sauce- and seeing as there's just a little over an hour left to his big day (NY), I was sort of hoping it would be ok to use... Oh well... Will redo the sauce part tomorrow!

Imag0055

Commercial heavy cream, the ultrapasteurized kind, is spoiled when it is sour-smelling. Toss it. But if the cream is local cream, pasteurized but not ultra-p, it is simply soured and would be perfect in baked goods that call for soured cream/milk.

All you guys toss, but many stores will refund. Just ask.

Face

You should return it so the store can be aware of any problems in their supply chain-particularly since it was within its "use by" date.

Thanks everyone! I will definitely bring it to the attention of the store.