🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Meatballs Emilia-Romagna with Pasta Sheets

081710f52_me_0509

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Meatballs Emilia-Romagna with Pasta Sheets" from thirschfeld. It says:

"Once you smell the garlic add the wine and the bay leaves. Reduce the wine to a glaze and then add the stock and rosemary sprig. Reduce the liquid by half. Add the milk and cream. Let it come to a boil and then then place the pan into the oven. "

I'm assuming that the tomatoe paste goes here, but the other question, is do the meatballs go into the sauce or do they continue to cook on their own in the oven?

asked by Mikitchen over 2 years ago

Based on my read of the recipe, it seems the meatballs and sauce are supposed to go in the oven separately. But I think I would put the meatballs in the sauce before putting them in the oven. This way they can begin to absorb all those delicious flavors.

Img__631-1_(1)

yes the tomato sauce goes in there. And I always let the meat balls cook on their own but you could add them to the sauce after the fat has rendered if you wanted. Do not put them in the sauce before the oven or they won't brown and as the fat cooks out it will make your tomato sauce greasy. You want them to brown up nicely for flavor.