Can grilled cheese sandwiches be made about 30 minutes ahead, and kept warm in a 200F oven? Or will they turn soggy/less appealing?

asked by cristinasciarra over 2 years ago
Dsc_0253_2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

They will definitely turn soggy & unappealing. They'll still be edible, but far from their initial fresh-out-of-the-pan greatness.

Are these for a 10-years-old or under crowd? If so, in my experience no one will have a fit - it's an OK shortcut. Spread them out (the grilled cheese sandwiches, not the children) in a single layer on a baking sheet (don't pile them up). Cover pan loosely with foil before placing in warm oven. Most children can't tolerate very hot food anyway. One suggestion: toast the bread slices in a toaster first, before grilling the sandwiches in the pan. That way, you can use a minimum amount of fat (butter, etc.) in the pan to brown the bread. Because the more fat in the pan, the soggier the sandwiches will be later on. Hope all goes well!

I cheat when I make grilled cheese sandwiches. I take two slices of bread, put cheese on one slice, put the second slice on top, butter the top of the second slice (the slice on top), then use my microwave's grill function to 'grill' the sandwich. The cheese melts just find, the top piece of bread gets crispy enough, and I feel a little less guilty eating it since I didn't fry the whole thing in butter. It may not be the real deal, but it's good enough for me!

Farmer's_market

I've kept grilled cheese hot in a low oven for a good 10-20 minutes, if not 30. When making them for several people, it allows you to serve everyone at once without having multiple skillets all going at once. It works fine - in fact, I kind of like how they get super-oozy/melded from that extra time lounging in the oven.

Bigpan

Pop them under the broiler or salamander before serving. I agree if for 10 year olds - who cares ... They will eat anything!

Cristina-014-web-final

Ha, sadly, these were not for children. I made tomato soup and grilled for a group of grad students; good for a cold, rainy day. I ended up starting them 10-15 minutes before people came over, and draping the plate with foil. I finished just as everyone arrived. No one complained!

Lorigoldsby

Another option is to put the sandwiches on a grid type cooling rack, then putting them in the oven on the lowest setting...it's the pan and foil that makes them soggy.