A trick to mixing cocoa without chunks?

Cocoa

When I'm mixing cocoa powder, sugar and milk, is there a way to prevent (or minimize) the powder from chunking? Right now I have to smush the chunks against the side of the mug with the back of my spoon... it's a pain. I wonder if smarter people than I have figured out a little trick to avoid this. (photo: flickr user elanaspantry)

asked by pnoeric about 3 years ago
Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

I run it through a sifter/colander to smooth it out. When I make my mocha mix, I use brown sugar with the cocoa and blend them with a pastry blender to break up the chunks in both.

C0d1f1de-4134-43ba-9510-1d7a8caa31f3.scan0004

Add liquids into the well mixed dry ingredients, stirring with a wire whisk so it makes a smooth paste, then slowly add the rest of the liquid while stirring, then heat.

A64f0bcb-569d-43e7-b4db-4f21866cac44.farmer's_market

When making hot cocoa, I usually dissolve the cocoa powder and sugar by stirring it into just enough hot water to make a syrup - depending on quantity, usually just a couple of tablespoons of water per cup or so of milk. Then I whisk the milk into that.