🔎

What can replace Pernod in a recipe?

Kandm

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

What kind of recipe? We'll be able to help you better if we know what it's going into.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 2 years ago

Ouzo !

Junechamp

Ouzo is much sweeter than Pernod.

Yes, per Kristy's comment it depends on what you are making. Personally I love pastis (Pernod et. al.) which is high in alcohol at 43%. Strong anise but other herbaceous flavors. It combines well with shellfish dishes; scallops, lobster. And it's also expensive. Most restaurant bars don't stock it unless the chef needs it, and the bar staff don't usually know where to find it, or pour it correctly, or even pronounce it. It's Per-NO.

Chris_in_oslo

I must be sheltered! How on earth do they pronounce it? PER-nod, PEAR-nod, per-NOD? In truth, I didn't even know bars didn't stock it--Pernod (or another pastis) is not only great to use in cooking, with a little cold water, it turns into a milky white, not quite as alcoholic, and refreshing drink. Great for a hot alfternoon. Though back to the question...depending on the recipe, fennel or fennel and anise seed, plus something liquid.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Chef Arik Markus is the cooking coach at Whole Foods Market Pearl in Boulder, Colorado.

You can try Ricard, anisette, ouzo, pastis, sambuca, etc, essentially any anise flavored liqueur. Pernod itself can be quite expensive, and a little usually goes a long way. You might try to find one of the alternatives at your local liquor store in an airplane bottle size to save the money if you only need a small amount.