🔎

• 9

• 5851

Can u make meatloaf without breadcrumbs?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes, but it might be a little dense.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I always use rolled oats instead of bread crumbs, probably the same quantity or a little less, plus eggs which have been beaten a little.

Imag0055
mainecook61 added about 2 years ago

Yep. Rolled oats work just fine. There used to be a recipe right on the Quaker Oats box.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added about 2 years ago

A "kibbe" is a lamb dish that is similar to a meatloaf but uses cracked bulgar wheat...are you avoiding the bread crumbs because you don't have them in the pantry or are you looking for a gluten free option?

heiwei added about 2 years ago

Cooking for someone who is gf. I make my meatballs without any crumbs, but was worried about proportion with a meat loaf. Thanks for the insight! Ps: now I'm craving kibbe.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

You can use quinoa flakes, a good thing to have in the whole grain/GF toolbox. They also make a 'crumb' topping, by mixing with your fingers the flakes with oil or soft butter and grated hard cheese.

Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

In Julia Child's recipe she used cooked rice, no breadcrumbs. Really works - love that recipe. If I wasn't so lazy I would get up and source the recipe for you. If you are interested send me a message and I will give you her recipe and the book it comes from.

lloreen added about 2 years ago

I made quinoa meatloaf (add cooked quinoa to the meat mixture instead of bread). It was a little softer and more crumbly than traditional meatloaf, but it tasted great and was gluten free and lower-carb. This was the version I made, but I did it with beaf instead of turkey: http://www.theperfectpantry...

Alternatively, you could go for meatloaf pâté which is denser and richer. Just cut thinner slices and serve more veggies...
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

klfnwf added about 2 years ago

That is how I always do it. Use veggies . It makes it healthier & super moist. Also more flavor