All questions

Help. I have a pint and a half of double cream to use. Says it can't be frozen? What can I do with it??!

asked by @blueberrybelly almost 5 years ago
5 answers 1779 views
added almost 5 years ago

Hi, since this is a U.S. site, many people here don't know what double cream is (but I'm sure some do.) We can't get cream with that high a butterfat content in the U.S. so our recipes don't call for it.

How about an easy chocolate cake a UK blogger adapted from a Nigela Lawson recipe?


Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

added almost 5 years ago

Slather it on your biscuits. Or make scones and invite friends over! Here's one of my autumn favorites: You can substitute pureed pumpkin for the butternut squash puree, if you like.

added almost 5 years ago

Is clotted cream the same thing as double cream?

added almost 5 years ago

Clotted Cream is NOT the same as double cream. The nearest US equivalent of double cream is Heavy Whipping Cream. When I am narrowboating in the UK is use double cream in any recipe that I would have used Heavy Whipping Cream back in the states. One of my favorites is Spaghetti Carbonara. The double cream makes a really luscious alfedo sauce.

If I had to freeze the double cream to preserve it, I would whip it first, and drop dollops into a baking sheet and then freeze. After a day or so, I would then put the dollops into a sealed container for later use atop desserts or in Irish Coffee!

Clotted Cream is a cooked product.

added almost 5 years ago

mmm just have it on everything