🔔
🔎

black eyed peas!

I messed up big time and forgot to soak BEP overnight for a meal that needs to be ready in a few hours. recipe calls for them to be cooked low for 80 minutes. do i need to adjust cooking time if using canned?

asked by stuffthings over 2 years ago
Dsc_0253_2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

yes! if the recipe calls for dried, the cooking time should be drastically reduced, I would imagine, as the beans are basically already cooked and all you'll be doing is essentially flavoring them.

No worries! Just rinse and cook dry black-eyed peas using cold water. Cover the pot and cook for about 25 minutes over medium heat, periodically checking for desired done-ness. Salt after the peas are drained. Salting while they are being cooked makes them dull.

Ife

Im west African so I use a lot of bep in my cooking. I boil the beans with seasoned water or broth with a 2:1 water/broth and bean ratio. I boil it on high for about fifteen minutes, stirring all the while, after fifteen minutes I turn the heat down and add more water or drain water if necessary. All in all it takes about 30 minutes. Good luck!

I prefer frozen BEP for cooking ease. One big mistake I made with dried peas was not sorting them out, I was used to using "China Girl" brand which is mostly rock free. (I say mostly because in any dried pea, you might get rocks). Well, I got a off brand and it was full of little rocks. So, no matter what brand of dried peas you use, be sure to put them on a sheet pan and pick over the rocks and stones that might be in there.