🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: The Easiest Alfredo Sauce Ever - the cheese has clumped; is there a fix? or do i have to start over?

Alfredo2

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "The Easiest Alfredo Sauce Ever" from lastnightsdinner. It says:

"Melt the butter in the cream in a wide, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring or whisking often. When the butter is completely melted, add the cheese a little at a time, whisking or stirring after each addition. Continue cooking until the sauce is reduced and thickened, about 20-25 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed. Toss with hot cooked pasta, adding a bit of the starchy pasta water to help it all come together. Serve in warmed pasta bowls, adding your choice of garnish, if desired. Pass additional grated cheese at the table."

asked by kinderae almost 3 years ago
Buddhacat

Checked the recipe and noticed you had several comments about how great the recipe is. Did you change anything? Did you whisk enough?

BIG problem here is reducing the butter/cream combo with the cheese. Savvy cooks know that the reduction should take place first. Then when the sauce has reached the desired thickness add the butter then whisk in the cheese. This saves having to constantly monitor the sauce for breakage, burning, separating etc. Also how finely the cheese is grated and the quality of that cheese, would dictate the likelihood ( or not) of clumping

Not much help - I now know why it clumped, but no one has told how if I can repair it!!

Baci1

You can try fixing it by mixing in a little more cream. OR, adding a little bit of acid (eg. lemon juice). One or the other, not both.