A question about a recipe: Sausage and Kale Dinner Tart

052411f_480

"kale (a large bunch), stemmed and roughly chopped" do you think I could use fresh spinach instead of this? it's not available in germany

asked by silvousplait over 2 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes, totally -- just make sure the spinach gets dry in step 3. If needed, press out any excess liquid with the back of a spoon before adding it to the egg mixture.

Really?! I find that hard to believe. How about chard? You could use spinach, but it will cook down a lot more and lose a lot more water, so you would get very different results. I think you would need to pre-cook the spinach and ring out any moisture before adding it in step 3.

Kale (Grünkohl, Braunkohl, Krauskohl, Lippische Palme, or Oldenburger Palme)

"Kale is a favorite in northern Germany, so much so that many kale festivals are held during the kale season. In Schleswig-Holstein and Bremen, many clubs, associations, and groups of friends take part in numerous "Kohlfahrten" (kale tours). These consist of long hikes, after which they have dinner at local restaurants. Dinner consist of kale, wurst, and schnaps. After dinner, more schnaps and dancing."

http://www.germanfoodguide...

what part of Germany do you live in? Grünkohl is one of the few vegetables that is available in the winter in the region where I live in southern Germany.

Kale, Chard, Collards, anything from this line would be acceptable as well as any hearty green leafy vegetable and quite a few lettuces. And I'm with everyone else on this.....Where the H*## in Germany are you? This stuff grows EVERYWHERE!!!

hey NeuB, thanks for the super helpful response. wait, nope, just kidding.

I'm in Berlin and the supermarket that's near my job is pretty small--the fresh veggie selection isn't great, I haven't seen any kale there, and a lot of times they run out of stuff which is why frozen spinach is my best bet.

Thanks for your answer Amanda! I'll try it out.