🔎

• 7

• 680

A question about a recipe: MAGIC PIZZA WITH RAMPS AND ANCHOVIES

I have a question about the recipe "MAGIC PIZZA WITH RAMPS AND ANCHOVIES" from dymnyno.
What is a ramp?

Pizza_and_meringue_007
Dsc_0253_2

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Spring onions! They show up in early spring and they're so very lovely !

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Junechamp

Ramps are not onions. They are wild leeks. Spring onions are another whole different vegetable.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 2 years ago

Yes and no. Ramps go by a number of different names, spring onion is one of them.

Stringio
mari.vanderheide added about 2 years ago

Ramps "ramps = ramp = wild leek = Tennessee truffle Notes: These have a strong onion-garlic flavor which tends to linger on the breath. Despite their humble Appalachian origins, ramps tend to be pricey and are usually found in gourmet produce markets. They're available from March to June. Substitutes: leeks (milder, larger) OR Chinese chives Or green garlic"

Both of the above are excellent answers, but in our neck of the woods, ramps can be found by foraging. Hence the assertion that they are WILD leeks. Maybe you live in a place where they can be searched out as well. They're quite common in the Northeast
P.S. And I live in NYC

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added about 2 years ago

It is a thing of beauty.

Junechamp

.....and their season is all too short. I wonder whether they will be early this year due to our crazy Northeast winter?