A question about a recipe: Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream

B386b355 6ba7 4fe3 8ae9 0661074acf04  food52 02 28 2012 1502

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Combine the lemon juice, whole eggs, yolk, sugar, and salt in a stainless steel bowl that will rest securely in the rim of a saucepan over, not touching, the water.
Where can I find a stainless steel bowl shallow enough to fit over an 8" or 10" pan? I have searched and searched! I have an All-Clad 3 qt saucepan that is 8" across but only 4 1/8" deep and Staub 6 qt pot that is 10" across and 4 1/4" deep. All ss bowls I found were at least 4" deep. I ended up buying an encapsulated one piece double boiler from de BUYER, but when I made the lemon cream, it only came to 140 degrees, not the recommended 180, so now it's not as firm. My glass bowls are not tempered so I didn't use them. Any ideas? Thank you!

asked by HapppyBee over 4 years ago

Actually you could just hold the bowl while whisking the lemon cream. It's more important that the temperature remains fairly constant w/o steaming, than it is for the bowl to be secure. Whenever I'm making a pastry cream, or Hollandaise,; that's what I do

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Do a google image search for "makeshift double boiler." You want to choose a bowl that is larger in diameter than the pot, so only part of it will be resting inside, and the bottom of the bowl will be a couple inches above the bottom of the pot.
I'm not sure why your encapsulated double boiler was only able to bring the lemon curd to 140º. It seems like it should be able to get the curd to the correct temperature.