A question about a recipe: Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream

Food52_02-28-2012-1502

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Combine the lemon juice, whole eggs, yolk, sugar, and salt in a stainless steel bowl that will rest securely in the rim of a saucepan over, not touching, the water.
Where can I find a stainless steel bowl shallow enough to fit over an 8" or 10" pan? I have searched and searched! I have an All-Clad 3 qt saucepan that is 8" across but only 4 1/8" deep and Staub 6 qt pot that is 10" across and 4 1/4" deep. All ss bowls I found were at least 4" deep. I ended up buying an encapsulated one piece double boiler from de BUYER, but when I made the lemon cream, it only came to 140 degrees, not the recommended 180, so now it's not as firm. My glass bowls are not tempered so I didn't use them. Any ideas? Thank you!

asked by HapppyBee over 2 years ago

Actually you could just hold the bowl while whisking the lemon cream. It's more important that the temperature remains fairly constant w/o steaming, than it is for the bowl to be secure. Whenever I'm making a pastry cream, or Hollandaise,; that's what I do

Gator_cake

Do a google image search for "makeshift double boiler." You want to choose a bowl that is larger in diameter than the pot, so only part of it will be resting inside, and the bottom of the bowl will be a couple inches above the bottom of the pot.
I'm not sure why your encapsulated double boiler was only able to bring the lemon curd to 140┬║. It seems like it should be able to get the curd to the correct temperature.