What is the BEST vanilla cake?

My son wants a vanilla dumptruck cake for his birthday tomorrow. I've got the pan, and I've got a few recipes in mind, but if you have an exceptional one, please share. I want one that is redolent of vanilla, where it's the main star.

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

From your description I'd say you want to purchase high quality vanilla bean. Tahitian is what is most widely available. But there are other countries that produce them as well. I would recommend scraping the bean out and infusing it into the milk in the recipe. Maybe even coconut milk to enhance the vanilla, and storing the husk in your sugar container, so that you have vanilla sugar to use at a later date

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Great tips here. I ended up using smittenkitchen's perfect yellow cake but steeped the scraped vanilla bean and pod in the buttermilk (and then removed the pod!) and then cooled before stirring into the cake. It is divine!

Dsc00859_2

Without a doubt, sdebrango's Tender Yellow Cake:

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

That is lovely too! I went with smittenkitchen's recipe but thank you so much for your help!

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Add your answer here

I'm wondering how you like the smitten kitchen recipe. I made it once and found it came out dry/browned too quickly. I'm still on the hunt for a moist and perfect yellow/vanilla cake recipe.

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

While the batter was delicious, I was definitely underwhelmed by the finished product. It was a little dry and despite the amount of vanilla (and I steeped a vanilla bean in the buttermilk), the taste of vanilla was overwhelmed by the frosting. Let me know if you find a great recipe!!

Always good to know it's not just me. I made the recipe from Baked a few weeks ago, and it also came out dry, though I also may have overcooked it due to the cooking time listed. I think I'll be making sdebrango's tender yellow next week--the oil called for seems promising to me. I will definitely post back with the results.

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Oh yes, please do post the results. sdebrango is a good cook and creamtea suggested her yellow cake so... my fave choc cake recipe uses oil and it is just beyond light and wonderful. good luck!