🔎

• 9

• 1672

I boiled octopus a couple of weeks ago and my apartment STILL smells.

What can I do? Is there anything that will prevent this in the future? Or does this just come with octopus-boiling territory?

Cristina-014-web-final
cristinasciarra added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I don't know how to stop future octopus smells, but to get rid of your current olfactory woes, trying boiling some water with lemon slices, all-spice, cloves, a cinnamon stick.. whatever you have. It should do the trick.

softpunk added about 2 years ago

I do this and it works like a charm.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 2 years ago

A friend of mine likes kippers for Christmas breakfast ... I make him cook them outdoors on the BBQ ! (hint)

Baci1
HalfPint added about 2 years ago

Wipe down counters, walls, the stove (especially the stove), the hood etc. Try a little vinegar (white) in water solution. Vacuum fabric-covered furniture & curtains, spray with Febreze. If you have blankets or towels that have this smell, wash them with a cup of distilled vinegar, along with detergent. Open a window, if you can. Air circulation is probably the best way to get rid of most odors and it's the only way I can think of to deal with this problem in the future.

Ophelia added about 2 years ago

If you aren't worried about it immediately bursting into flame use vodka instead of Febreze. The smell of alcohol will go away as soon as it dries and take unpleasant smells with it, instead of leaving that weird floral scent everywhere. Otherwise I would absolutely follow all that advice.

clrhawaii added about 2 years ago

Soak the octo in lemon water before cooking fore 8 min

Amypineapple added about 2 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Wow. My hat is off to you. I think I would have moved by now.

Open-uri.11147
SeafoodBatlle added about 2 years ago

I usually simmer mulling spice in water from Trader Joes and that always does the trick, it even helped sell my last house it smells so good....