🔔
🔎

I boiled octopus a couple of weeks ago and my apartment STILL smells.

What can I do? Is there anything that will prevent this in the future? Or does this just come with octopus-boiling territory?

asked by Amypineapple almost 3 years ago
Bigpan

A friend of mine likes kippers for Christmas breakfast ... I make him cook them outdoors on the BBQ ! (hint)

Baci1

Wipe down counters, walls, the stove (especially the stove), the hood etc. Try a little vinegar (white) in water solution. Vacuum fabric-covered furniture & curtains, spray with Febreze. If you have blankets or towels that have this smell, wash them with a cup of distilled vinegar, along with detergent. Open a window, if you can. Air circulation is probably the best way to get rid of most odors and it's the only way I can think of to deal with this problem in the future.

If you aren't worried about it immediately bursting into flame use vodka instead of Febreze. The smell of alcohol will go away as soon as it dries and take unpleasant smells with it, instead of leaving that weird floral scent everywhere. Otherwise I would absolutely follow all that advice.

Soak the octo in lemon water before cooking fore 8 min

Thanks everyone!

Wow. My hat is off to you. I think I would have moved by now.

Open-uri.11147

I usually simmer mulling spice in water from Trader Joes and that always does the trick, it even helped sell my last house it smells so good....