🔎

• 13

• 221385

• See other questions tagged:
    • garlic

How much minced garlic equals one clove?

I have a jar of pre-minced garlic in the fridge, but am not sure how much of that would equate to one clove of garlic.

Open-uri20131214-2654-1y8k74
jmburns added about 2 years ago

About 1/4 teaspoon. It should should say on jar

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

If you look on the lid the conversion is usually located there.

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added about 2 years ago

Cloves of garlic can range in size from half a teaspoon, to half a tablespoon, and up to a tablespoon i'd say.
The decision is yours how much garlic to add, if you like garlic go a little heavier on it, otherwise stick to about teaspoon depending on the recipe.
I also reccomend mincing your own fresh garlic. If you dont want to chop it fresh every time, I have a solution. Here at Wholefoods, we sell whole peeled fresh garlic cloves and every week i throw them in my food processor to mince it and put it right back in the same container and use that all week. That way everytime i need garlic, i just grab a spoonful out of it. Sometimes I'll add a little olive oil to it to make it it last longer. Hope that helps!

Esther Plume added about 2 years ago

I have frozen chopped garlic, and it says on the pack that a teaspoon is the equivalent of one clove. Per minced rather than chopped might be a bit less than that I guess, but not by much.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Sorry, I would toss the "packaged" garlic that has chemical preservatives in it in favor of spending the 20 seconds it takes to chop or mince fresh real garlic cloves.

Stringio
Lisa Murphy added 4 months ago

It's quite a bit longer than 20 seconds and if it's ORGANIC Garlic then there aren't any preservatives.

Athena103181 added about 1 year ago

My jar says 1/2 tsp= 1 clove. Depends how finely chopped it is.

Waffle3
ChefOno added about 1 year ago

I've always considered "clove" to be a useless measurement. Look at the variation on this page -- anywhere from 1/4 tsp. to 1 Tbs., that's a variation of 1200%

I use the conversion of 1 clove = 1 tsp. I believe Cook's Illustrated does the same.

ATG117 added 10 months ago

I always add garlic according to my taste and what seems right, but I agree its probably about a 1/2 teaspoon. I'd also say that if you have the option to use fresh garlic, I would. The taste is significantly better.

Bluemoonske added 5 months ago

Most cloves are different sizes! A teaspoon would be a sufficient guide per recipe listing of "clove". Unless your taste buds disagree.

This can also depend on how much you like or dislike garlic. I love it. So a tsp for me would become a tbsp!!

Roxilicious added 4 months ago

I think it's about 1/4 a teaspoon or one full teaspoon

Sara,Comerford added 4 months ago

I always go with two tsp is one clove... But then again when I cook and it says "add two cloves garlic" I always like to add a few more for good measure because I love garlic!

Shuchir added 29 days ago

Didi dj