Can you freeze chickpeas?

Drowning in garbanzos -- already made hummus, chickpea salad, need to stash some away -- do they freeze well?

036

I would think so - especially if you can get them air-tight. Are they fresh or dry / cooked? I know hummus freezes well if you want to make more and freeze that.

P1291120

Kind of -- they will be slightly mushier when defrosted. So, if you plan to defrost and use in more hummus -- no problem. Frankly, should work in just about anything, but the more you expect the chickpea to standout by itself (like a salad) the more likely you are to notice the texture is just a bit mushier. Freezing is still a great idea for your situation - just be mindful about your intended use after defrosting.

Freeze em no problem. I place in single layer on baking sheet first and then place in zip lock freezer bag once solid. This prevents then from sticking together into big icy lumps.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet