How do you keep pasta (with no sauce) from sticking together?

I am making pasta with multiple sauce options so I want to keep the pasta "dry."

asked by Kay.R.Cee over 2 years ago

Add a little oil to the cooked pasta.

Wholefoods_user_icon

I like to use some high quality olive oil, Whole foods Market has a great extra virgin olive oil and also one kind called Arbequina that has a great fruity flavor. The Arbequina olive oil by itself tossed with pasta will keep it from sticking and will make it taste great.

If you dont want to use oil and you arent eating it right away, I would rinse it in a strainer with cold water, to cool it down and then add it to your sauces which you can have warm in a separate pot.
Also make sure you have plenty of salted water in the pot that you are cooking the pasta in.
Hope that helps!

Cook it until just shy of al sente and then submerge in ice water to stop the cooking. Then when you are ready a quick dunk in boiling water will warm it, complete the cooking and loosen up the starch. This is however almost impossible with angel hair

426768_335072613193393_100000719706220_1100169_242241312_n

Definitely olive oil in the boiling water. I have found that if it is long strands you are cooking that shuffling it in rather than all at once fixes that problem. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help! I've never has much luck with olive oil in the past but rinsing it with the cool water and then adding a little olive oil worked like a charm!

Photo-1

Olive oil keeps pasta from absorbing the sauce, so you will get less tasty pasta by using it. Also, rinsing pasta (unless you need it cold like for a pasta salad) is just rinsing away flavor and the starches that help to create a cohesive sauce. Pasta is always best when it's finished in the sauce for the last minute in a saute pan.

If you want to give multiple choices and you don't want to just create separate dishes, I would suggest dressing the pasta in a little marinara sauce in a saute pan and people can top with your sauce choices.