🔎

• 6

• 10835

• See other questions tagged:
    • quinoa

Is there a difference between regular, red, and black quinoa besides just the color?

Can they be used interchangeably in recipes?

19935_292165946404_502966404_5168928_1994829_n
LornaFarris added about 2 years ago

There is certainly a flavor difference. Red and black quinoa have a stronger flavor then regular. As far as I know it would probably be ok to use any of the three in a recipe calling for red or black quinoa - but you should be careful when substituting red or black for regular. The stronger flavor might overwhelm the other flavors in the recipe.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 2 years ago

I had no idea red and black existed. Must try some. thx much.

Voted the Best Answer!

The differences in flavor are subtle, hardly overwhelming, but they are there. Red and black can make your plating more interesting.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

If quinoa follows the usual pattern in foods, more color is an indication of more antioxidant components.

Jess-otoole
la domestique added about 2 years ago

Seabass I use red, black, and regular quinoa interchangeably in recipes without any problems. Just depends on what kind of color I'm looking for on the plate.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Chef Michael Kiss is the cooking coach at the Whole Foods Market in Alexandria, Virginia.

The black has a crunchier mouthfeel as well