Substitutes for cheese in pizza ?

I don't want to use cheese for reason of high calories

Mozarella and ricotta cheeses are perfectly fine to use--you won't overload on calories from either one and you will get calcium and other valuable nutrients. The fat in the cheeses will help satisfy your hunger as well as your soul! Eat a sensible portion, don't fill up on bread and refined grain products, and stay away from processed foods and your calorie consumption will remain at a reasonable level.

Farmer's_market

You could do cheese-less, or just go very light on the cheese and heavy on vegetable toppings.

Or use a strongly flavored cheese, where a scant amount provides a lot of flavor, like a few crumbles of Gorgonzola or grinds of Parmesan.

One of my own favorites is a Roman style pizza bianca (white pizza). Just brush the crust with olive oil and top with thinly sliced onions and garlic.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

A chunky tomato sauce and like Pierino noted brushed with olive oil and some good aromatics like onions and garlic.

I'm really partial to potato pizza...It's one of Jim Lahey's (no knead pizza recipes)

http://www.thefreshloaf...

Make pissaladiere!

Scan0004

If you want a protein source other than cheese, just about any will do. Just consider what kind of profile it has -- fats, salt, protein, and use in amounts that give you what you're looking for. Portion control may be the key for you.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Nutritional yeast has a parmesan like flavor on the pizza, but no melting qualities. avocado will give you the creamy cheese like feel with plant based oils. and we make a ricotta at our house by crushing up firm tofu, adding lemon juice, garlic, and nutritional yeast. great for pizza and lasagna.

Whole Foods also makes a vegan pizza that I think tastes really good. I'm not sure that vegan cheese will cut calories significantly; I've never looked at the calories on it. But the "cheese" they use looks like it is a shredded variety, which i now Horizon makes. At Whole Foods, they also top the vegan pie (now anyway) with roasted eggplant. The eggplant gives it added dimension.