🔎

Substitutes for cheese in pizza ?

I don't want to use cheese for reason of high calories

Maedl added about 2 years ago

Mozarella and ricotta cheeses are perfectly fine to use--you won't overload on calories from either one and you will get calcium and other valuable nutrients. The fat in the cheeses will help satisfy your hunger as well as your soul! Eat a sensible portion, don't fill up on bread and refined grain products, and stay away from processed foods and your calorie consumption will remain at a reasonable level.

amysarah added about 2 years ago

You could do cheese-less, or just go very light on the cheese and heavy on vegetable toppings.

Or use a strongly flavored cheese, where a scant amount provides a lot of flavor, like a few crumbles of Gorgonzola or grinds of Parmesan.

One of my own favorites is a Roman style pizza bianca (white pizza). Just brush the crust with olive oil and top with thinly sliced onions and garlic.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added about 2 years ago

A chunky tomato sauce and like Pierino noted brushed with olive oil and some good aromatics like onions and garlic.

Darlene Carrigan added about 2 years ago

I'm really partial to potato pizza...It's one of Jim Lahey's (no knead pizza recipes)

http://www.thefreshloaf...

SallyBroff added about 2 years ago

Make pissaladiere!

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

If you want a protein source other than cheese, just about any will do. Just consider what kind of profile it has -- fats, salt, protein, and use in amounts that give you what you're looking for. Portion control may be the key for you.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Chef Michael Kiss is the cooking coach at the Whole Foods Market in Alexandria, Virginia.

Nutritional yeast has a parmesan like flavor on the pizza, but no melting qualities. avocado will give you the creamy cheese like feel with plant based oils. and we make a ricotta at our house by crushing up firm tofu, adding lemon juice, garlic, and nutritional yeast. great for pizza and lasagna.

ATG117 added about 2 years ago

Whole Foods also makes a vegan pizza that I think tastes really good. I'm not sure that vegan cheese will cut calories significantly; I've never looked at the calories on it. But the "cheese" they use looks like it is a shredded variety, which i now Horizon makes. At Whole Foods, they also top the vegan pie (now anyway) with roasted eggplant. The eggplant gives it added dimension.