🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Alice Medrich's New Classic Coconut Macaroons

Photo_on_2012-03-31_at_18.03

I have a question about the recipe "Alice Medrich's New Classic Coconut Macaroons. I just made these and they spread out a lot. A few stayed in nice little piles, but others got a pool of the "goop" around them.

asked by JenM over 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

How strange -- did the egg mixture thicken and turn opaque when you cooked it? You can also click through the slideshow on the recipe page to see if yours looked the same along the way. I know it's hard to tell from the way the photo got sized down, but they do look pretty from here!

I had the same problem. . .

According to Shirley Corriher or Bakewise/Cookwise fame, sugar is an *integral* part of a meringue's structure. Without enough sugar, egg whites cannot set properly.

While this recipe clearly isn't a meringue per-se, it does use egg white as a binding agent. Maybe slightly upping the sugar content would help? Hope this helps others with the same spreading issue.