How do I rectify a too sweet chicken soup? Used boneless skinless chicken thighs, onion, carrot, parsnip, garlic, ginger, chix broth.

asked by JulieS over 2 years ago
Dsc00859_2

Did you add salt? A rib or two of celery also will give a more savory note. Also, a tea-ball or cheesecloth square tied into a little bag with whole peppercorns in it--as much as a baby-fistful or as little as 5 or 10. I also add parsley at the end, but I since I never use ginger, I'm not sure if that's the flavor profile you're going for. Adding lots of carrots would have made it very sweet.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

A little lime juice (or lemon) will brighten it all up and compliment the ginger nicely.

Gator_cake

You could also strain out some of the broth and replace it with water or non-sweet chicken broth or stock. I'd also consider adding a little soy sauce in place of salt for some added umami. Or even a little fish sauce for the same reason.

Thanks everyone. I added more broth, lemon juice, cilantro, ramen noodles & toasted
sesame oil at table. Definitely went overboard on the carrots & parsnips! I was just trying to use up what I had in the fridge!

Oh! I also added soy sauce as recommended! Thanks!

Chris_in_oslo

Well, lesson learned, and it doesn't sound like it was a big failure. I'm (1) always careful not to overdo the carrots and parsnips and (2) always ready to add some lemon to brighten up the broth.

But my worst too-sweet broth had included corncobs. Don't use them unless you really like sugar!