🔎

A question about a recipe: Spiced Plum Chutney

I have a question about the ingredient "raw unfiltered apple cider" on the recipe "Spiced Plum Chutney" from seasonista.
I do not have apple cider or apple juice or even apple sauce. Is there another substitute that I can use?

41_thumb
sfmiller added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

The recipe calls for only 1/4 cup of cider, a mild-flavored ingredient, versus 3 cups of plums, plus raisins, garlic, ginger, onions, cinnamon, and mustard, all strong flavors. You could use plain water without sacrificing much.

The cider would contribute some sweetness and acidity, so you could try water plus another teaspoon or two of sugar and a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar. But I doubt it would make all that much difference. Chutneys are pretty forgiving; you should get a tasty result either way.

seasonista added about 2 years ago

Great ideas, sfmiller!

The juice does contribute liquid, sweetness, and acidity. I was going to suggest water, a bit of lemon juice, and honey. I think the honey (or agave syrup, or even molasses) would be closer to the apple juice than sugar, but sugar would work also.

Or, for a more spring-ish take on the theme, you could put some berries in it for the sweet/acid, and water for the liquid. Strawberries are showing up in the market where I live, maybe they are by you as well?