🔎

• 4

• 5043

• See other questions tagged:
    • cake
3-bizcard

Voted the Best Answer!

What type of cake? It really depends what kind of cake it is. You can make your sugar super fine by whizzing it in the food processor for a minute or so. It will break down the sugar crystals,

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

No, "Superfine" sugar is not ground caster/granulated sugar. Smaller sugar crystals are created in the evaporation process, they are not "ground" like flour/grain. Caster/granulated sugar can be substituted for most recipes calling for superfine, yes. The only types of cake this might be tricky in are egg white/meringue based ones like Angel Food or American Sponge or Chiffon/Genoise. Also superfine and granulated do not weigh the same. When I change recipes by way of substitution I sometimes reduce/increase sugar weight depending on kind of sugar I'm using/substituting.

Lynnht added about 2 years ago

I do all the time and it turns out fine. I've recently been using organic cane sugar and that even worked fine as-is. It might depend on the recipe though. I make a pretty sturdy yellow cake that calls for it .... I just make sure to take my time incorporating it with the butter. The other suggestion is good though... I've used a coffee grinder to grind sugar finer.

Instagram1
sstiavetti added about 2 years ago

Another thing to note is that grinding granulated sugar in your food processor will dull your blades, much like a sand blaster. Though in a pinch, it's a decent alternative if you just can't find superfine sugar. (see Shuna's note about about the actual differences in the two - listen to the pastry chef!)