Freezing chicken pot pie

Can anyone advise me? I am making a chicken pot pie to freeze for a friend and am wondering about the pros/cons of baking it before freezing or leaving the crust uncooked and then baking it after it has thawed and is ready to eat.

asked by Christine over 2 years ago
Junechamp

I would freeze it unbaked, crust and all. Pot pies sold frozen commercially are not baked before freezing. If you bake it first, it will never be anything other than "reheated." Not that that's such a bad thing, but I think they freeze unbaked very nicely. And they can be baked from frozen.

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

A lot of pot pie fillings are pre-cooked before crusts are put on and the whole thing is popped in the oven. This is because the time it takes to bake a crust is far less than the interior and the whole pot pie together. So, yes, I would say it would be fine to pre-bake it and then put the the raw dough on top and just egg wash & bake it at a later time from frozen.