🔔
🔎

I am putting toast, with butter, cinnamon and sugar, under the broiler for 1min to melt sugar. How close to broiler 2 put it?

asked by @mamatastic over 2 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

No closer than 3 inches or it could burn.

Bigpan

If you are simply wanting the sugar to glaze like a creme brûlée, the I would use a blow torch.

Instagram1

I agree with the torch recommendation - but if you're stuck with the broiler, I'd say 5 inches away to keep it from scorching.

Waffle3

Cinnamon toast may have been the first thing I learned to cook when I was maybe 5 years old -- and still do when the mood strikes. Amanda has it right. It's not like a brûlée exactly. The way I make it now is to toast the bread on one side (face down on foil), then heavily coat the untoasted side with soft butter and sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar. There's a fine line between loose sugar and burnt sugar when the topping gets perfectly crusty and the margins are toasted. Must be accompanied by chocolate milk.