A question about a recipe: Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream

Food52_02-28-2012-1502

I have a question about the recipe "Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream" from Genius Recipes. I made this on Sat. for Easter and we loved it. We forgot about it at the back of the fridge. It smells and looks fine...is the five days storage a hard rule?

asked by Stephanie G over 2 years ago
Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

In my experience, not with this lemon cream but with the lemon curd I make (similar ingredients and such), 5 days is a very conservative estimate. I've had lemon curd taste wonderfully after 12-14 days though at some point, it does start to break down. I think you're fine!

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Yes, the 5 days is just a recommendation and pretty flexible -- you'll know if it starts to mold!

Follow-up: can I freeze it? I'm thinking no, but it's soo good and we won't be around much to eat in the next few days.

Waffle3

Lemon curd freezes well.

I think the cream will freeze just fine because it's so tender and buttery. The crust will probably suffer a bit, but if it's a choice between freezing and tossing, I'd definitely go with freezing.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I had this in my fridge for over 2 weeks and lived to tell the tale. It was so rich my wife and I would swipe just a spoonful every now and again.

Scan0004

There should be no such thing as a 5 day rule. Every food has its own set of conditions -- the food itself, how it was prepared, how it was stored... I trust my senses before a so-called inflexible rule.

Waffle3

And this would be a good example (IMHO) of a very low-risk food due to its considerable acidity.

But…

How many of us own a pH meter to be certain?

And how many of us can smell salmonella bacteria?

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Add your answer here